Friday, October 29, 2010

No way to start our trip of a lifetime..

So the Friday before we leave for our trip to Disney World (we left on Sat EARLY morning!) I left work at lunchtime to go pick up Avery from the babysitter...When I get there, I noticed that she just didn't "look right" I ask the babysitter how she was feeling and she mentioned that they had played outside all morning, so she was probably pretty tired! We get to the car and I ask if she feels okay, she assures me that she is fine, but as a momma...I KNEW different!
I get back to work and clean my patients and go into our break room to check on her...She was red as a beet and her eyes were all glazed over. I quickly check her forehead and she was HOT AS FIRE! Panic sets in and I quickly call the pediatrician! I explain the situation and what a necessity it is that they see us, immediately! They understand and get my in to the LAST appointment on Friday. After arriving, they take her temperature and it is 103.5 :(

They start with a step test, and it came back negative. The doctor started to look her over and after a quick glance of the throat she knows exactly what the culprit is...HAND, FOOT and MOUTH disease! :(
It has a incubation period of 5 days and it just decided to rear its ugly head..THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE!
I asked the doctor how long this would last...She looked at me and told me that she will feel awful for the next 5 (that's right F-I-V-E) days...Keep in mind our trip is only 7 days...and then continued to inform me that it is VERY contagious and that another concern is that Brenly will more than likely to get it as well!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? After ALL these months of planning and now my sweet baby is going to be sick as a dog, THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE! I LOST it, right there in the doctor's office...
The Dr. was kind enough to give me an antibiotic (Hand, foot and mouth is a virus) but she felt like because her immune system was already down, that we MIGHT need it later...(Little did she know, she was RIGHT!! more on that later:)
I left feeling very discouraged and defeated...and immediately started a prayer chain, for reality had set in, and NO matter how much time and energy I had put into planning for this trip, God was still COMPLETELY in charge and now was the time for me to trust in HIS perfect plan!

No comments: