Tuesday, December 16, 2008

An Unusual Challenge...

...well, not unusual, but challenging none the less! I have been following Angie's blog since the spring and she is the most wonderful blog writer ever...no, I don't know her, but I have been reading her blog for sometimes and she has a great way with words and a great love for our Lord! She has challenged us blog readers to start memorizing scripture...for it is necessary to hide God's word in our heart! So she threw it out there that she was going to start memorizing Psalm 139 and I thought that I would throw it out there for all of you! Are you in for a challenge right before the start of a new year? We should have it all memorized before Jan. 1! Good Luck to all of you who are interested!!

P.S. Brenly says that she is going to try to memorize it with me..so yesterday we were in the car (which is where we spend a LARGE portion of our day) and she kept saying " OOOOOOOOO LORD, you search me and you know me" It is a wonderful feeling to hear you child quote scripture! After we got home, I was cooking dinner and I heard her in her room with Avery and Brenly kept saying, "OOOOOO LORD, you search me and you know me" I have a feeling before long, Avery will be saying it as well!She loves to copy anything that her big sister says/does! Praise the Lord!


Psalm 139 (NIV)

1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me 2You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

5You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," 12even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! 20They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD, and abhor those who rise up against you? 22I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Schedule:

I am starting this tomorrow, but feel free to do it at your own pace. If you choose to begin with me, we will finish on January 1st…what a way to start the New Year!!!

It is so important to have the word of God hidden in our hearts and this one is just amazing and so life-giving. I grouped the daily verses together in case you want to print them out and make them little note-cards (that’s usually the easiest way for me to memorize scripture).

***You can DO this!!!*** Don’t get discouraged if you get behind. I am praying for you all as we seek to serve Him with our whole lives.

Let’s get going, girls!!! You’re 18 days away from the power of Psalm 139 in your heart!

Day 1: Memorize verses 1&2

Day 2: Memorize verses 3&4

Day 3: Review/Catch Up

Day 4: Memorize verses 5&6

Day 5: Memorize verses 7&8

Day 6: Review/Catch Up

Day 7: Memorize verses 9&10

Day 8: Memorize verses 11&12

Day 9: Review/Catch Up

Day 10: Memorize verses 13&14

Day 11: Memorize verses 15&16

Day 12: Review/Catch Up

Day 13: Memorize verses 17&18

Day 14: Memorize verses 19&20

Day 15: Review/Catch Up

Day 16: Memorize verses 21&22

Day 17: Memorize verses 23&24

Day 18: Review/ Catch Up

1 comment:

Misty LaDean said...

well since i just saw this, jan 1 is a challenge FOR real... but i will get started!